Food & Wine: Articles

Food & Restaurant Reviews, opinions, obsequious and not so much stuff in and around Boston and New England

Friday, August 22, 2008

The Landing

Where: Head of the lake, South China, ME
Meal: Dinner
Food Type: Take Out, Ice Cream
For Who: Everyone


My friend and I went a bit out of our way to pick up his girlfriend at her parents home in South China. In order to make the trip worth our while, she promised to call ahead and order us a chicken tender baskets to take with us in the car. Save for my mothers' roast chicken, I very infrequently consider ordering chicken in a restaurant or anywhere else unless it is coq-au-vin. I was skeptical but I figured why not, free food for a free ride back to Boston, sounds great to me.

We pick up my buddy's girlfriend and drive a short distance to The Landing. As promised, the food is ready and we order some soda in paper cups to go. Instead of leaving, we decide to sit at picnic table in the hot August afternoon and watch the wind whip across China Lake while we eat our --- chicken.

I bite into the first nugget/tender. It is the most delicious piece of chicken I have eve had the favor of tasting. Breaded and deep fried, it is not too crispy, it is not dry, perfectly seasoned. I do not know how to describe the petite morsels of chicken the Landing serves, complete with coal slaw, french fries and a home made biscuit drenched in butter. If you ever have the opportunity to be in the Augusta area not too far from Rte 202 and a bit up Rte 9 (I had never heard of Rte 9 before but it is there for a reason), I highly recommend you search out The Landing. This place is maybe the most beautiful take out/ice cream stand in the world and the food is phenomenal. Go go go!!!

No comments: